Buying a Family Business
The Complete Guide
Are you considering buying a family business? If so, you’re not alone. Many entrepreneurs see buying a family business as a way to get their foot in the door, or to quickly grow their existing business.
However, buying a family business is a big decision, and it’s important to do your research and understand the process. Here is a complete guide to buying a family business, from finding the right business to financing the deal.
Why Buy a Family Business?
There are many reasons why you might want to buy a family business. Here are a few of the most common reasons:
- Established customer base: A family business typically has an established customer base, which can save you time and money in the early stages of your ownership.
- Good reputation: A family business that has been around for a long time typically has a good reputation, which can give you a competitive advantage.
- Value: Family businesses are often undervalued, which means you can get a good deal on a business that is already profitable.
- Passion: Buying a family business can be a great way to pursue your passion for a particular industry or product.
How to Find a Family Business to Buy
There are a few different ways to find a family business to buy. Here are a few of the most common methods:
- Networking: Talk to your friends, family, and business associates to see if they know of any family businesses that are for sale.
- Online listings: There are a number of websites that list businesses for sale, including BizBuySell and BusinessBroker.com.
- Business brokers: Business brokers can help you find and negotiate the purchase of a family business.
What to Look for in a Family Business
When you’re looking to buy a family business, there are a few key things you’ll want to look for. These include:
- The business’s financial health: Make sure the business is profitable and has a good track record.
- The business’s management team: The management team should be experienced and capable.
- The business’s culture: Make sure the business’s culture is a good fit for you and your team.
- The business’s location: The business’s location should be a good fit for your target market.
Financing a Family Business Acquisition
There are a number of different ways to finance a family business acquisition. These include:
- Bank loans: Banks are a common source of financing for business acquisitions.
- SBA loans: The Small Business Administration (SBA) offers loans to small businesses, including those that are buying other businesses.
- Venture capital: Venture capitalists invest in early-stage businesses with high growth potential.
- Angel investors: Angel investors are wealthy individuals who invest in small businesses.
- Seller Financing: Seller financing is a type of business acquisition financing where the seller of the business agrees to finance a portion of the purchase price. This can be a good option for buyers who cannot afford to pay the full purchase price upfront, or who do not qualify for a bank loan.
The Buying Process
- Due diligence: This is the process of investigating the business to make sure it is a good investment.
- Negotiating the purchase price: You will need to negotiate the purchase price with the seller.
- Securing financing: You will need to secure financing to pay for the business.
- Closing the deal: This is the final step in the buying process, where you will sign all the necessary paperwork and take ownership of the business.
How can Wilkinson Accounting Solutions help?
Buying a family business can be a great way to start or grow your own business. However, it’s important to do your research and understand the process before you make an offer. Wilkinson Accounting Solutions can help you with every step of the process, from finding the right business to financing the deal.
Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you buy a family business.
Want to know how we can help?
Fill out the below form to find out how we can help you.